Saturday, October 20, 2007

It's a small world after all

My life has been complete chaos and change. Part of this upheaval was due, in part, to moving to a new state for a new job after graduation. When I came down to NC, I did not know a soul, and I have to admit that is pretty frightening. However, I soon learned that southern hospitality is real, even in an area dominated mostly by northern/foreign transplants. After being here only one month, my social network is slowly growing thanks to my labmates, as they are extremely friendly and hospitable, as well as alcoholic beverages.

Just a couple of days ago, I got a nice surprise. A girl I went to highschool with, I will call her "S", and whom I hadn't talked to/seen in 7+ years dropped by for an unexpected visit. Turns out she is a graduate student working in a lab on the floor right above mine. She had apparently spotted me in passing and found me via the directory (the internet can be used for good). I love meeting new people and forging friendships, but there is something about being reunited with old friends that is different. I cannot describe it. Needless to say there was a lot of shrieking, hugs, and talking very fast. I am still trying to calculate the odds of two people from a graduating class of ~100, from a mid-sized Ohio town, relocating to NC at the same time, in the same city, at the same institution, and no less in the same building one floor apart. If you get a number let me know, I stopped doing higher level math a long time ago.

3 comments:

Lil Kate said...

Wow! That's crazy! I'm so glad to hear that you were that lucky. ;) You best go out and buy a lottery ticket.

LabTech said...

It's always nice to see a friendly face. I'm glad you found someone to hang out with! Enjoy...and when you can't think of any other reason to be happy, you can think about how cold and snowy it will be here soon and how much better things are in NC. ;-)

B.Sis said...

The "SUA" force is strong... There isn't anything more fun (to us) and frightening (to others watching) than 2 old time femme friends seeing each other. By any chance did the "shreiking" cause any dogs to start howling or glass to shatter?